Created By: Linda J. Amendt, author of Gluten-free Breakfast, Brunch & Beyond
- 1/3 cups Bgreen Food™ Organic BAKE MORE™ White Rice Flour
- 2/3 cup Bgreen Food™ Organic BAKE MORE™ Brown Rice Flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour (or tapioca starch)
- 1/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 3 tbls poppy seeds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 12/ tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbls half-and-half or light cream
- 1 tbls unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbls sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10” Bundt pan with unsalted butter.
2. MAKE THE CAKE – In a medium bowl, combine the flours and potato starch. Whisk together until the ingredients are thoroughly
blended. Use a large spoon to bring the flour from the bottom of the bowl up to t the top and whisk again, repeating a few times to make sure flours are evenly distributed.
Whisk in the baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt until well combined. Stir in the poppy seeds. Set aside.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the almond and vanilla extracts.
Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter-sugar mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture, stirring between each addition until blended. Mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread smooth with lightly greased fingers or the back of a greased spoon.
Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. If necessary, gently run a knife blade between the cake and the edge of the pan to loosen. Invert the coffee cake onto a wire rack to cool.
In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, cream, butter, and almond extract. Beat until smooth and spreadable. Spread or drizzle the icing over the cake. Sprinkle the almonds over the top of the icing. Let the icing harden for about
15 minutes before serving.